Yuja tree literally means the tree that fruits yuja.
It is a type of citrus, spread wide from the Yangtze Valley of China to the Tibet Valley. They are widely raised in the Jeollanamdo region in South Korea, and they can be raised indoors in the middle region. The records say they were planted, raised, and drank as tea for a long time, and the scholars argue that they were probably spread from China.
It takes a long time for a yuja tree to grow on its own, so it is usually grafted on a trifoliate orange tree. If a yuja tree is raised in a pot as an ornament, the flowers are usually cut leaving only one fruit.Seeing just one huge fruit growing for a long time does have a good vibe. It has thorns as sharp as a trifoliate orange tree so it must be handled with care.
3 times as much Vitamin C as lemon has
In these days where the daily temperature difference is huge and fluctuating, many people tend to catch a cold due to the weather suddenly getting cold. Yuja is in the season in November, and a lot of people look for Yuja near winter for its sweet taste and soft fragrance and an excellent effect for cold. Like the old tales say drinking yuja tea and take a bath in the hot water with yuja slices in the winter solstice prevents the one from getting cold for the whole year, yuja is the best health gift for the winter.
The property of yuja is cool, the taste of it is sweet and sour. Not only that it is good for preventing cold, in [Donguibogam], it is written that it “relieves hangover and eliminates the bad breath of a drinker,” and due to its cool property it cools down the chest and relieves hangover. Also in [Ben Cao Gang Mu], it is written that it is “good for preventing stokre caused by cerebrovascular diseases.” This is because it is rich in Vitamin B, carbohydrates, protein, etc., more than the other citrus fruits, and it contains hesperidin that protects capillary vessels to prevent cerebrovascular diseases and stroke. The amount of rich Vitamin C is 3 times more than it is in lemon, good for cold and skincare, and it is full of organic acid that prevents fatigue. Also, it has a drainage and excretion effect to excrete wastes accumulated in the body. Moreover, it has an aromatic stomach reinforcing effect that is good for indigestion, nausea, and when one has no appetite. It is also good for calming sputum and stopping cough.
Effects of Yuja
Prevention and Treatment for Cold
- Yuja is rich in Vitamin C and critic acid that is good for prevention and treatment for cold. It’s got sweating, antipyretic action, anti-inflammation, cough-stopping effect. Moreover, Limonene in yuja reduces inflammation in the neck and relieves cough.
Prevention and Treatment for High Blood Pressure
- Limonene and pectin in yuja reinforce capillary vessels and promote blood circulation to prevent high blood pressure caused by abnormalities in blood vessels in the brain, and it is effective for neuralgia.
Prevention for Storke
- Hesperidin in yuja also protects capillary vessels, prevents cerebrovascular diseases, and stabilizes blood pressure to help to prevent stroke.
Fatigue Recovery, Tonic, and Hangover Relieve
- Yuja is rich in critic acid and vitamin C that can relieve stress and help the secretion of digestive fluid to help tonic action that relieves fatigue. Also, the rich vitamin C of yuja helps to detoxify alcohol after drinking.
Calcium Supply and Constipation Relieve
- Compared to other fruits, yuja is exceptionally rich in calcium thus it is very good for the formation of bones and preventing osteoporosis for adults. As you eat the peel that contains cellulose, it is great for preventing constipation.